Motorcycle Accident FAQs

If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, we are here to help you.

No matter the circumstances, being involved in a motorcycle accident is scary and can be traumatic. The recovery process can be long and hard both physically and emotionally. It can also be hard on your finances and affect your life moving forward. 

For this reason, motorcycle accident victims should always seek guidance from a motorcycle accident lawyer in Cincinnati. You could be due compensation for your injuries and other consequences of the accident. The Richards Firm is experienced in representing motorcyclists in accident cases and is successful in helping injured parties receive the compensation they are due. 

As a personal injury firm that has represented numerous motorcyclists, we have a vast wealth of knowledge in motorcycle law. Below we have gathered some of the most frequently asked questions when it comes to motorcycle accidents. 

What should I do at the scene of a motorcycle accident?

Generally, if a traffic accident involves a death, personal injury, or property damage above a specific amount, you should notify the police, who will usually make a written report of the collision. We would go as far as to suggest that you should always contact the police for a report to be made even if the collision caused minimal or no damage or injury.

If possible, you should take photos of any injuries or damage to your motorcycle. You should also avoid giving any statements about what happened.   

You’ll need the name and insurance information of the other driver or drivers involved in the accident as well as contact information for any witnesses. 

What if I was run off the road and the other driver left the scene?

Accidents involving phantom vehicles, or vehicles driven by other drivers who cause a crash but remain unknown for whatever reason, may be covered under your uninsured motorist coverage on your motorcycle insurance policy. However, pursuing a claim can be tricky, and you will need an experienced attorney to help you navigate the law. The Richards Firm can present your case and make sure that you recover when you should.

What if an accident occurred when a car turned in front of me? Am I at Fault?

Oftentimes, witnesses are crucial to proving your claim when you may be in the situation where another driver claims that a collision occurred differently than you do. For instance, if you turn left in front of a driver with a certain color light but the other driver saw something different, a witness will be very important to proving your claim. In short, the answer to your question depends.

Can I file an injury claim if my insurance covered my expenses?

If you were injured due to another driver’s negligence, the other driver is responsible for your medical expenses even if you have other avenues you can use to pay for them. Using your employer-provided health insurance state or federal-provided health insurance does not affect your ability to bring a bodily injury claim. 

Sometimes, your health insurance company may ask to be reimbursed if you are awarded compensation. 

What if I wasn’t wearing a helmet when the accident occurred?

Even if your state has a mandatory helmet law, your failure to comply with that law may not prevent you from recovering from your injuries if someone else caused the accident. Depending on where you live, the issue may be relevant to the total amount of damages you will recover if it is shown that your failure to wear a helmet contributed to your injuries. In short, consult an attorney who knows motorcycle law in your state.

Should I accept a motorcycle accident settlement?

Insurers are always looking to pay less on injury claims. Your insurance company may offer you a relatively small settlement soon after your accident before the full extent of your expenses becomes known. You should carefully review any settlement offer with an attorney as soon as possible.

Do I need a motorcycle accident lawyer?

If you have been in a motorcycle accident, you should speak with a qualified attorney. At The Richards Firm, we can help you understand whether you have a valid claim and other issues in your cases such as compliance with traffic laws, motor vehicle regulations, medical treatment, and liability.

We can be reached at 513-868-2731, ext. 219 or visit us at  

Follow The Richards Firm: 

Facebook (

Twitter (

Instagram (

Tik Tok (

LinkedIn (